On late Monday, Facebook said that not a single Facebook user reported the New Zealand mosque shooting while watching a livestream of the same.
In a statement, the Facebook deputy general counsel Chris Sonderby said that the real-time broadcast of the violence was seen fewer than 200 times.
The original video was played about 4,000 times before being removed from the platform but a a version of the video continued to spread on the internet because an 8chan user shared a link on the message board, which describes itself as “the darkest reaches of the internet” and is seen as a breeding ground for hate.
After being contacted by the New Zealand police, the company removed the video from the platform.
Sonderby said, “We removed the personal accounts of the named suspect from Facebook and Instagram, and are actively identifying and removing any imposter accounts that surface.”
He added, “We designated both shootings as terror attacks, meaning that any praise, support and representation of the events violates our Community Standards and is not permitted on Facebook.”
The deadly attack took place on Friday last week at Christchurch in which 50 people were killed in two separate mosques. The video showed only the first mosque.